Porto Cervo, Italy. 26th June 2010. Victory in the first leg of the Farr 40 European circuit has gone to Massimo Mezzaroma’s Nerone (ITA) with tactician Vasco Vascotto. Racing in the event, organized by the Yacht Club Costa Smeralda from 25th to 27th June, did not take place today due to the lack of breeze off Porto Cervo, Sardinia. Yesterday’s overall classification after three races is therefore valid for the series and Mezzaroma is followed in second place by Plenty (USA), owned by Alexander Roepers, with Barking Mad (USA), owned by Farr 40 class President Jim Richardson in third.
The Farr fleet will be back in Sardinia at the end of Septmber for the second leg of the circuit, scvheduled to be held in Porto Rotondo from 30th September to 3rd October.
The regatta was characterized by unusually light winds for the area but the fleet was able to dispute one race on Friday 25th and two yesterday in approximately 10 knots of northerly breeze. Back ashore the ten participating teams were treated to the customary YCCS social programme which included a welcome cocktail at the Clubhouse and refreshments in the Piazza Azzurra each day after racing.
The Yacht Club Costa Smeralda’s sporting calendar continues from tomorrow, 28th June, until 3rd July with the Audi Sardinia Cup, the ISAF Offshore Team World Championship. Teams will be composed of a Farr 40 and a Melges 32 and many of the owners and crews competing in the Audi Invitational Melges 32 will remain in Porto Cervo for the championship.
Farr 40 European Circuit - 1st Series
Farr 40 - Summary Results - as of 06/26/10 at 14:28
Place, Boat Name, Helmsman, Owner, Nation, R1-R2-R3-Points
1. NERONE, Massimo Mezzaroma, Massimo Mezzaroma, ITA,1,1,2, 4.00
2. PLENTY, Alexander Roepers, Alexander Roepers, USA,2,3,4, 9.00
3. BARKING MAD, James B. Richardson, James B. Richardson, USA,7,5,1, 13.00
4. STRUNTJE LIGHT, Wolfgang Schaefer, Wolfgang Schaefer, GER,4,2,7, 13.00
5. ENFANT TERRIBLE, Alberto Rossi, Deep Water Association, ITA,3,4,6, 13.00
6. FIAMMA, Alessandro Barnaba, Alessandro Barnaba, ITA,5,6,5, 16.00
7. CHARISMA, Nico Poons, Nico Poons, MON,6,8,3, 17.00
8. MANGUSTA RISK, Andrea Canavesio, Andrea Canavesio, ITA,10,7,9, 26.00
9. VANITAS CUBE, Martin Strobel, Martin Strobel, SUI,8,10,8, 26.00
10. HOOLIGAN VI, Edward Brodway, Edward Brodway, GBR,9,9,10, 28.00
For further full results, entry lists and further information please visit www.yccs.it or contact the press office.
YCCS Press Office
Tel +39 0789 902200
Fax + 39 0789 91213
document.write( '' );
document.write( addy_text84541 );
document.write( '<\/a>' );